The Passport and Immigration Office is a branch of the Mauritius Police Force and works under the aegis of the Prime Minister’s Office as well as the Commissioner of Police. This Office is the sole authority in Mauritius which is empowered to provide Passport & Immigration Services.
The Passport and Immigration Officer is designated by the Minister to carry out the provisions of the Passport Act and the Immigration Act. We manage border control at ports of Entry and Exit, enforcing Immigration laws.
We also issue Mauritius Passports/Travel Documents; process applications for visa to non-citizens who require an entry permit prior to travel to Mauritius, issue residence permit and occupation permit to eligible non citizens who want to work, invest, or retired in Mauritius. We also issue Premium visa eligible non-citizen who intends to stay in Mauritius for a maximum period of one year as a tourist, retiree or a professional willing to come with his/her family and carry out his business or work remotely from Mauritius.
Keen in providing a quality service with consistent standard, the Passport & Immigration Office has been commended and awarded the prestigious certification of ISO 9001:2015 and ISO-IEC 27001:2015 Standards in respect of Quality Management System (QMS) and Information Security Management System (ISMS).
Services provided by the Passport & Immigration office are as follows:
- Issuance of Mauritius Passports/Travel Documents.
- Issuance of Visa to non-citizens who require an entry permit prior to travel to Mauritius.
- Issuance of Premium Visa to non-citizens.
- Issuance of Residence Permit/Occupation Permit.
- Controlling and regulating entry and exit at Border Controls.
To be a world-class organization for providing Passport and Immigration Services.
- To provide a quality service to our customers and satisfy their needs.
- To promote the interest and confidence of customers.
- To foster a team spirit, sense of belonging to the organization and be committed to the highest standard of quality and professionalism.
- To see that bona-fide persons enter and leave the country.
- To ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
OUR QUALITY POLICY
- Top management is committed to comply with requirements of the ISO 9001:2015 Standards and continually improve the effectiveness of the Quality Management System.
- The purpose of our organization is to enforce the relevant Laws respecting Passport and Immigration duties as per our service charter.
- Our Quality Policy is to provide a high quality service to our customer and meet the requirements of our mission.
OUR QUALITY OBJECTIVES
- To issue Mauritius Passport to citizen of Mauritius within four working days after payment (in Mauritius only).
- To deliver a visa (entry permit) within five working days to a non-citizen who requires a visa to enter Mauritius, provided all relevant documents are produced.
- To deliver a premium visa within two working days.
- To deliver an Occupation Permit within two working days, provided documents received from the Board of Investment (BOI) are complete and in order.
Before the early fifties, the Passport & Immigration Office was situated at Immigration Square, Port Louis and was run by civilian officers. In 1954, the Police took over the duties of the Passport & Immigration Office and the office was relocated inside the compound of the Line Barracks, seat of the Police Headquarters.
In January 1999, the Passport & Immigration Office was transferred to the Sterling House, 9-11, Lislet Geoffroy Street, Port Louis.
With effect from Sept 2003, the Passport Office decentralized its Passport Application Service. Alongside with the main office, six sub-offices, co-located at the Police District Headquarters (DHQ) as mentioned below, also received applications for passports from eligible citizens, thus providing ‘Un Service de Proximité to the public.